Summer is a time for fresh produce, outdoor activities, and light meals that are quick to prepare, and won’t weigh you down – giving you more time and energy to enjoy the beautiful outdoors! If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy meal that checks all of these boxes, these vegan summer rolls are a must-try.
How to Make Fresh Summer Rolls
Vegan summer rolls, also known as fresh spring rolls, are a popular dish that originated in Vietnam. They typically consist of a rice paper wrapper filled with a variety of fresh and colorful vegetables, herbs, noodles, and sometimes protein. Unlike fried egg rolls or spring rolls, these rolls are served fresh and raw. The end result is light and refreshing, making them a perfect choice for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Filling Ideas for Summer Rolls
When it comes to fillings for summer rolls, the possibilities are endless. Your fillings can vary depending on personal preferences and availability of ingredients, but here are some common ingredients:
- Crunchy veggies such as carrots, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, jicama and bean sprouts.
- Leafy greens such as lettuce, spinach, or microgreens
- Herbs such as cilantro, mint, or basil
- Rice or vermicelli noodles
- Fruit such as mango, pineapple, avocado, or even strawberries
- Nuts and seeds such as peanuts, cashews, and sesame seeds
- Protein such as tofu, tempeh, seitan, soy curls, or edamame
The fillings are typically arranged in the center of the rice paper wrapper, and then rolled up tightly around the fillings. Spring rolls are often served with a dipping sauce, such as a peanut sauce, hoisin sauce, sweet chili sauce, or a sweet and spicy cashini sauce.
To take these summer rolls to the next level, we will be using Cashini from Artisana Organics to make a sweet and spicy cashew tahini sauce that perfectly complements the fresh and colorful ingredients in the rolls. Cashini is a brand new organic product that combines raw cashew butter and tahini into one delicious and nutritious spread. It’s a great source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber, and it’s a perfect ingredient for this sauce that adds a sweet and spicy kick to every bite.
How to Roll Summer Rolls
Rolling spring rolls may seem intimidating, but it’s actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. With just a few tips you will be a pro in no time! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to roll spring rolls:
Prepare all of your fillings and have them within reach. Be sure to slice your veggies extra thin and in a similar size and length.
Fill a shallow dish or pie plate with warm water. One at a time, dip each rice paper wrapper into the water, making sure it’s fully submerged for only a few seconds. Fight the urge to leave it submerged for too long – it will still be rigid when you remove it from the water. Remove, letting excess water drip off, and lay it flat on a clean cutting board.
Arrange your fillings in a line across the bottom third of the wrapper, beginning with your flat ingredients like mango and avocado, following with peppers and carrots, and ending with the fluffiest ingredients such as herbs and greens.
Tightly, but carefully, fold the bottom of the wrapper up and over the fillings, tucking it in to make a tight roll. Fold in the sides of the wrapper towards the center, fulling covering the fillings. Roll up the wrapper tightly towards the top, keeping it as snug as possible without tearing the wrapper.
Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings, making sure to leave a bit of space between each roll so they don’t stick together. Serve the spring rolls immediately with your choice of dipping sauce.
Pro tip: It’s important not to overfill your spring rolls, as this will make them difficult to roll and may cause them to burst. Start with a small amount of filling, and adjust as needed. The second most important step is NOT over-soaking your rice paper wrapper.
Are These Rolls Healthy?
These vegan summer rolls are not only super healthy and packed with nutrients, but they are also incredibly delicious and satisfying. The combination of crunchy vegetables, sweet mango, creamy avocado, fresh herbs, and flavorful cashews makes for a perfectly balanced and refreshing meal.
In conclusion, these healthy, fresh, and colorful vegan summer rolls are a must-try recipe whether you’re enjoying them as a light lunch, a refreshing snack, or a quick and easy summer dinner. If you enjoyed these vegan summer rolls, please leave a review below and be sure to check out these Rainbow Collard Wraps with Peanut Sauce and Rainbow Tempeh Veggie Wraps!
- 8 rice paper wraps
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 red mango, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1 english cucumber, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, thick stems removed
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup roasted salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Sweet and Spicy Cashew Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup Artisana Organics Raw Cashini
- 2 tbsp sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- Prepare all of your fillings and have them within reach. I like to work on an extra large cutting board.
- Fill a shallow dish or pie plate with warm water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water, making sure it's fully submerged for 5-7 seconds. Fight the urge to over-soak. It should not be softened yet when you remove it from the water. Remove, letting excess water drip off and lay flat on your cutting board.
- Arrange your fillings in a pile in the order listed above at the bottom third of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper up and over the fillings, tucking it in slightly to make a tight roll. Fold in the sides of the wrapper towards the center, forming a neat envelope around the fillings. Roll up the wrapper tightly towards the top, keeping it as snug as possible without tearing the wrapper. Set on clean, dry plate.
- Repeat with remaining wraps and ingredients.
- Prepare the sweet and spicy cashini sauce by combining the cashini, sriracha, maple syrup, and lime juice. Adjust for your desired sweetness and spiciness by adding more or less maple syrup and sriracha.
- Serve the wraps immediately with dipping sauce.