This vegan sweet potato casserole is a fabulous addition to any Thanksgiving spread. It is easy to make with just 8 vegan, gluten-free ingredients, and will delight your entire table of guests, despite their dietary preferences.
The holiday season is upon us and I’m a firm believer that no Thanksgiving table is complete without sweet potato casserole. This has always been my most favorite holiday side dish and I have such fond memories growing up making it with my mom in their kitchen for the big festive feast. We always made a recipe that was passed down from a family friend, adjusting it over the years to make it “our own”. I’ve made it “my own” even more, but making it totally vegan, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free without compromising on any of the delicious flavor.
Is Sweet Potato Casserole Healthy?
Well, this one is certainly healthier than most! It swaps the butter for vegan butter or coconut butter, and the traditional brown sugar is replaced with an unrefined sugar. This type of sugar does not spike your blood sugar like traditional sugars. (Should I say sugar one more time?!) It is also totally dairy free and gluten-free.
What you need to make this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Butter or Coconut Butter
- Coconut Sugar
- Coconut Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Gluten Free Oat Flour
- Chopped Pecans
- Sea Salt
Will this casserole taste like coconut?
Nope! Even if you choose to use coconut butter, coconut milk, and coconut sugar, your casserole will not taste like coconut! The sweet flavors of the sweet potato and nuttiness of the pecans will be the prominent flavor that shines through. However, if you have a coconut allergy or are adverse for another reason, I would recommend swapping the coconut milk for cashew milk or soy milk, and the coconut butter for vegan butter. Any sweetener of your preference can be used.
- 8 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional to use canned pre-cooked sweet potatoes)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil, softened
- 3/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly oil a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- Fill a large saucepan half full with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add in the sweet potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes until very tender. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the coconut sugar, coconut butter, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt. Use a hand mixer to mix until it is creamy and well combined.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to the prepared baking dish and use a rubber spatula to spread into an even layer. Rinse out the bowl and wipe dry.
- Add all of the ingredients for the pecan topping to the bowl and use a fork to mix until it is combined and crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly. Serve immediately!