As we move into fall and it starts to get chilly, there is nothing better than creamy, flavorful roasted tomato basil soup. Whether you enjoy it as a side dish, appetizer, or make it a meal in and of itself, it is truly the perfect warming bowl to nourish your body and soul. This recipe is unique as it is bursting with rich and savory umami flavor and a few secret ingredients for a delightfully robust finish. The best part of all is you only need one pan and one blender. No sautéing or simmering required!
For years I thought I hated tomato soup because I only knew the metallic, bland, slimy flavor of the canned store bought varieties.. Let me tell you, this soup is nothing like that. Making your own roasted tomato soup is so worth it. The flavors are fresh, bold, and the ingredients are so nutritious. No thickeners, preservatives, and totally free of dairy and gluten.
What Makes This Roasted Tomato Basil Soup So Flavorful?
Nobody wants bland soup, and this recipe is far from it. To achieve a satisfying, umami, well-rounded flavor I use these few tricks:
- Roasting all of the ingredients: Roasting brings out a deeper, richer, more robust flavor of each vegetable and your tastebuds will definitely thank you for it
- Adding Mushrooms: Roasted mushrooms add SUCH a delightfully earthy, umami flavor that just hits different and compliments the roasted tomatoes so nicely
- Balsamic Vinegar: The perfect addition to round out this recipe with a slightly sweet, slightly tangy, deep, rich flavor
- Nutritional Yeast: Adds the perfect cheesy flavor that you would usually achieve with parmesan, as well as many nutrients
- Herbs: So much flavor is added with a variety of herbs. For this recipe I used rosemary, lemon thyme, and fresh basil
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Simply add all of your veggies to a baking dish, toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, and roast for 45-60 minutes. Then blend with the remaining ingredients and dive in! So simple. So delicious. Perfect with a piece of crusty bread or vegan grilled cheese for dunking. I also love it topped with a little coconut yogurt and these crispy chickpeas from Biena.
If you love this cozy fall soup, be sure to try some of my other recipes:
- Best Ever Vegan Chili
- Creamy Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 lbs tomatoes, quartered or halved I used a combination of plum, roma, and cherry
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 6-8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 16 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 4-5 sprigs rosemary
- 4-5 sprigs lemon thyme optional
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP miso paste
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 C fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegan greek yogurt
- roasted chickpeas
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13" baking dish with oilve oil.
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, and thyme to the baking dish and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 45-60 minutes until tomatoes are juicy and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and discard the rosemary and thyme. Use a ladle to carefully transfer the roasted veggies to a blender, including any juices. Add in all remaining ingredients and purée until smooth and creamy. Season to taste.
- Serve hot topped with greek yogurt, crispy chickpeas, and fresh basil.
One thought on “Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup”
[…] Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup — Jackfruitful Kitchen […]