Spicy? Check. Flavorful? Check. Healthy? Vegan? Gluten Free? Simple?! Check, check triple check! This bowl of noodley goodness is tasty, healthy, EASY, fast, and sure to delight your whole family! I took my traditional Vegan Mac + Cheese recipe and added some more VEGGIES and some HEAT for a flavorful dish you’re going to love. If you haven’t tried harissa before, it’s a bold, spicy, smoky pepper paste that adds an abundance of flavor and is perfectly mellowed when combined with cauliflower and cashews. Check out how I used it in the sauce recipe below, and definitely add this to your menu next week. One of the best parts about this veggie-packed recipe is it requires ZERO chopping! Also, did I mention dinner will be on the table in 20 MINUTES and you’ll be set with delicious leftovers?! You’re welcome!
- 1 1/2 C cauliflower
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 C raw cashews
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 carrot
- 2 TBSP harissa
- 1/2 C water or plant milk make sure your plant milk is unflavored and unsweetened
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast very different than baker's yeast. adds a wonderful cheesy flavor and is a great source of B12
- 2 TBSP tapioca flour ok to sub cornstarch or arrowroot flour. helps achieve a thick, creamy, stretchy cheesy texture
- 1 TBSP white miso paste adds a cheesy umami flavor
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 servings gluten free pasta of choice
- 2 TBSP fresh basil, chiffonaded
- Add cauliflower, onion, garlic, cashews, red peppers, and carrot to a pot of boiling water. Boil for 15-18 minutes until VERY tender. Cauliflower and carrot should be extremely soft.
- Halfway through boiling veggies, begin cooking pasta. When pasta is aldente drain and set aside, reserving 1/2 C of pasta water.
- Drain veggies/cashews and add to a blender with water and remaining ingredients except pasta and basil. Blend for 1-2 minutes until super smooth and creamy. Pour sauce into saucepan and cook over low heat to thicken and achieve a stretchier texture. Add pasta water as needed.
- Add cooked pasta to saucepan and toss to coat and heat through. Serve hot with fresh cracked pepper and a sprinkle of fresh basil.