Vegan shakshuka is the ultimate one-pan, nutrient-rich dish that can be enjoyed any time of day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or my favorite… brunch! I love to serve it for brunch because its a total crowd pleaser and with Mina Shakshuka sauce it is so easy to make.
Shakshuka is a rich and flavorful tomato sauce that is typically used to poach eggs, but this delicious vegan version swaps the eggs for tofu. A traditional shakshuka recipe includes tomatoes, roasted red peppers and spices and can take over an hour to prepare from scratch! While its worth the wait, I know many of us do not have time for that! I love to use Mina Shakshuka sauce because its just as delicious as the recipes I’ve made from scratch, but I can enjoy authentic, flavorful shakshuka in just 10 minutes.
How to make Vegan Shakshuka
As I mentioned, traditional shakshuka recipes can take over an hour, but follow the few simple steps below for a recipe thats just as tasty, full of authentic flavor, and ready in no time.
- Start by scrambling your tofu. For an easy step-by-step guide, check out my tofu scramble tutorial here. Set aside.
- Heat a small cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Optional to spray with a light coat of olive oil.
- Pour in your jar of Mina Shakshuka and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Make 4 little wells, and spoon your tofu into each one. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with vegan feta, fresh avocado and cilantro.
How to serve Shakshuka
One of the best things about shakshuka is that it’s incredibly versatile. You can enjoy it by itself, alongside toasted bread or naan for mopping up the tasty sauce, or with salad, mixed greens, or my favorite: massaged kale. The bold and vibrant sauce pairs so well with the refreshing and tender kale and makes the perfect light and healthy, plant based brunch. As the weather gets cooler, we make shakshuka even more frequently because its so warm and comforting.
- 8 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp kala namak indian black salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 1 jar Mina shakshuka sauce
- 2 TBSP vegan feta
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- crusty bread or naan, toasted
- Heat a small amount of oil or water in an 8" cast iron skillet over medium low heat.
- Crumble your tofu into the skillet and season with nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric. Scramble for 3-4 minutes until golden. Transfer to a plate and wipe out your skillet.
- Return to heat and pour in jar of Mina shakshuka sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer. Use a wooden spoon to make 4 small wells and spoon your tofu into each one. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with vegan feta, avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Spoon into bowls alongside fresh greens (optional) and serve with crusty bread or naan for dipping.