If you’re looking for a gluten-free vegan breakfast, this is a wonderful way to start the day. Zucchini Oatmeal is hearty, easy to make, and tastes just like regular oatmeal. It incorporates vegetables, whole grains, fruits, nuts, seeds, and plant protein for a complete and satisfying meal. This easy apple cinnamon version is perfect for fall and tastes just like your favorite apple crisp.
Why Add Zucchini to Oatmeal
Zucchini is a healthy vegetable that is high in fiber, low in calories and rich with vitamins and nutrients. Its mild flavor makes it the perfect vegetable to add to oatmeal because you can’t taste it at all! The texture of zucchini also adds a nice creaminess. Because zucchini is so low in calories and carbs, this is a healthy, protein-rich, high volume and low calorie breakfast.
Adding zucchini to oatmeal is kind of like making zucchini bread. The mild flavor of zucchini combined with the nuttiness of oats is a match made in heaven and is enhanced by using spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
Types of Oats to Use
My personal favorite is gluten free rolled oats, but old fashioned, quick oats, or even steel cut oats can be used. If you choose to use steel cut oats, you would need to adjust the recipe and cook time below due to their density and texture. Alternatively, rolled, old fashioned and quick oats can be used interchangeably.
Can I Make Zucchini Oats ahead of time?
Definitely! Zucchini oatmeal can certainly be made ahead of time and is a great addition to a plant-based meal prep. It makes for a great grab-and-go breakfast and can be enjoyed both hot or cold. When reheating your oats, you may want to add a little extra plant-based milk or water for extra creaminess and moisture.
- 1 C plant-based milk oat or almond
- 1 honey crisp apple, chopped divided
- 1/2 C gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 TBSP golden flax seed
- 1 TBSP toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 TBSP maple syrup optional
- Add milk and half of apple to a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in oats and seasonings. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in shredded zucchini and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes. Season to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with remaining apple, flax seeds, pecans, and maple syrup.